ELFAC Awards 2021
Here are the awardees of the ELFAC prizes, announced in the European Large Families Conference in Keszthely (Hungary) in 9-10 July, 2021.
Institution or Government
FOCAL POINT ON THE FAMILY, UNITED NATIONS.
SOCIAL AFFAIRS OFFICER: RENATA KACZMARSKA
In 1995, the World Summit for Social Development held in Copenhagen, recognized the importance of the family as the basic unit of society, and acknowledged that it played a key role in social development and as such should be strengthened, with attention to the rights, capabilities and responsibilities of its members. Within the United Nations system, the Division for Inclusive Social Development (DISD) of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), builds an awareness of the global situation of families and promotes family-oriented policies and programmes.
- Promote the objectives of the International Year of the Family (1994) and its follow-up processes;
- Advocate to integrate a family perspective into national, regional and international development agendas;
- Promote the integration of a family perspective into policy-making at the national, regional and international levels;
- Provide substantive servicing in the areas of family and family policy to United Nations intergovernmental bodies, particularly the General Assembly, the Commission for Social Development and the Economic and Social Council;
- Encourage and support coordination on policies and programmes within national governments and within the UN system;
- Support research on family issues;
- Provide technical assistance and capacity-building for family policy development and projects for family wellbeing;
- Exchange good practices in family policy making; disseminate information and support networking on family issues; and
- Engage in dialogue with Governments, UN agencies, civil society, the private sector and academics, facilitating the exchange of good practices in family policy making.
CENTRAL BANK OF HUNGARY
Explaining a nomination for an award is often list-like and objective. The Hungarian National Bank on the other hand stands out from the supporters of large families as they are more than partners, they are the friends of us.
We believe that not even an otherwise imposing list could truly express the reason for nomination.
- supporting university grants
- offering Christmas and Easter gift packages
- children’s days, supporting national programs like the Baby Welcome Event
- supporting the edition of our bi-monthly magazine: NOE Levelek (NOE Letters)
- special donations during pandemic
- supporting indigent families
We have to add that these donations are exceptional sums, the Hungarian National Bank has provided 84, 5 million HUF donation in the past 8 years.
Neither listing the activities, nor the donated sum can express how much the Hungarian National Bank has helped for thousands of families directly every year. The Hungarian National Bank acts as a solid background for the members of NOE, for 70 000 people all together, just as many as the population of a regional centre. Besides, it supports not only our members but every large family across the country.
We have nominated the Hungarian National Bank for the award because we believe that by supporting our association and large families with their professional work reflected in their activities, they are the flagship of the family friendly country.
Based on the above, we have nominated our friend, the Hungarian National Bank for the award of the ELFAC Association whole-heartedly.
(By NOE, the Large Families Association of Hungary)