Exporting the model of the Family Agency of Trentino Province (Italy), the Italian large Families Association and Trentino Province started in October 2017 the Italian Network of Family-Friendly Municipalities. Adding to the model different experiences carried out by other national associations of the European Large Families Confederation (ELFAC), during the 9th. European Large Families Conference in Szczecin (Poland) on June 2, 2018, ELFAC and the Province of Trento signed the agreement to start a new initiative at European level, the European Network of Family-Friendly Municipalities.
It’s a new initiative to promote local policies in favour of the wellbeing of families. Mission of the Network is to provide support, tools and resources to European municipalities to develop and improve a family friendly culture through a common process of planning and self-evaluation.
Aim of the Network is to define a common standard of quality family-friendly policies in Europen in order to stablish in a mid-term an European certification.
Aims of the Network
To support the life projects of families (specifically large families) to help reconciling home and work life, to encorauge policies that help young people to the transition to adulthood
To create a cultural, social and economic environment favorable, welcoming and attractive to families with children in Europe, promoting a subsidiary culture of family
To build an alliance in favor of families among civil society, municipalities and companies
To work with strategic European Institutions to promote family mainstreaming and an holistic view of family policies
To promote exchanges of good practices, friendship and know how, improve mobility, cultural exchanges, fighting economic and cultural poverty
To support municipalities introducing innovative family policies in order to create a common and shared standard of quality family services and benefits
Benefits for Municipalities
To be included in the European Network Register
To access a reserved good practices database
To receive the newsletter of the European Network
To share information and to take part in study visits
To join international meetings, seminars and the annual convention
To publish informations about your Municipality
To use the logo of the European Network
To join a vast movement towards a family friendly Europe
Requirements to join the European Network
of Family-Friendly Municipalities
Commitment of the Mayor and the Municipal Council
Global minimum family criteria:
- Engagement of family associations.
- Services for families (parental education, childcare services, family support including the elderly, mediation, etc.).
- Family benefits (allowances, taxation, tickets of transportation, museums, communal services, public services…).
- Specific body for families in the municipal council (agency, council member, representatives of families).
- Plan or strategy for families and youth policies.
- Info point for families (booklets, offices, website, etc.).
- Family friendly policies for municipal employees (work-family balance, flexible work-time, etc.).
- Housing policies for families.
- Family friendly environment (parks, urbanism adapted for families with children, etc.).
- Family events.
- The municipality has to give evidence of partial fulfilment of at least five of these 10 points.
- Membership to the Network is subject to review every two years based on criteria evaluation.
- If your municipality are from Portugal or from Italy, where there is a homologated certification, you should be adapted to the requirements of these places to be member of the European Network (more details in the Application Form section)
How to join the Network?
The Municipality applies to join the Network by filling the Application Form
The European Network verifies the application
If the Municipality meets the requirements, it receives the Acceptance Letter as new member of the Network