- This event has passed.
THE DEMOGRAPHIC CHALLENGE – THE ROLE OF THE MULTI-CHILD / LARGE FAMILIES AND THE FUTURE OF EUROPE
18 October, 2021 | 7:00 am - 3:00 pm
11th. INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE GREEK LARGE FAMILIES ASSOCIATION ‘ASPE’
A hybrid one-day policy event in Athens, Greece, in co-operation with the Social Administration Research Laboratory, University of West Attica (sarl.uniwa.gr).
When: October 18th, 2021
Where: The Ancient Olive Grove Campus Conference Center, University of West Attica
Livestreaming: address to be announced
Coordinator: Maria Balodimou, Journalist.
9.00 – 10.30
Welcome addresses (have been invited):
- Archbishop of Greece, Mr. Ieronymos
- President of the Republic, Mrs. Katerina Sakellaropoulou
- Prime Minister, Mr. Kyriakos Mitsotakis
- Head of Political Parties: Mr Alexis Tsipras, Mrs. Fofi Gennimata, Mr. Dimitrios Koutsoumpas, Mr. Kyriakos Velopoulos, Mr. G. Varoufakis
- Rector of the University of West Attica, Prof. Panagiotis Kaldis
- Representation of EU in Greece, Mr. Giorgos Moschovis
- President of the POP / Cyprus, Mr Ntinos Olympios
- President of ASPE, Mr Vassilios Theotokatos.
10.30 – 11:00
- Alternate Minister of Foreign Affairs (EU policies), Mr Miltiades Varvitsiotes
- Deputy Minister of Demography and Family, Mrs Maria Syregella
- Vice-President of the European Commission for Democracy and Demography, Mrs. Dubravka Suica.
11.00 – 11.15
11.15 – 12.45
Session I: FAMILIES AND THE FUTURE OF EUROPE
- “Large families in Europe: present and future”, Mrs. Regina Maronzelli-Florio, President of ELFAC
- “Families as the barometer of society”, His eminence Metropolitan Athanasios, D.Phil., Director of the Representation of the Church of Greece in the European Union
- “Contemporary issues for families in Europe”, Dr. (Mrs) Antonia Torrens, VicePresident of COFACE-Families Europe, President of KMOP.
- “The controversial approach to families in the new EU inclusive development agendas”, Prof. (Mr.) Gabriel Amitsis, Director of the Social Administration Research Laboratory – University of West Attica. Vice President of Housing Europe
12.45 – 13.45
13.45 – 15:15
Session II: DEMOGRAPHIC ISSUES, FAMILY POLICIES & ASPE’S CONTRIBUTION
- Presentation of Diplomas to Greek cities for their membership to the European Network of Family Friendly cities. Presenting committee: President and General Secretary of ELFAC (European Coordination), Vice-President and General Secretary of ASPE (as the national coordinator for Greece).
- “The 90 years contribution of ASPE to the Greek society”, Mr. Charalambos Pavlos, Director of ASPE.
- Best practices in Family support by Local Authorities: Mr. Costas Bakogiannis, Mayor of Athens. / Dr. (Mr.) Michalis Christakis, President of the Union of General Secretaries of the Municipalities “Klisthenis”
- “Demographic policies in Greece and Europe: An initial assessment”, Dr. Costas Geormas, General Director – Organization of Welfare Benefits and Social Solidarity
15.15 – 15.30
15.30 – 17.00
Session III: RISKS AND CHALLENGES OF FAMILIES WITH MULTIPLE CHILDREN
- “Best practices for the support of large families in European countries”, Mr. Raul Sanchez, Secretary General of ELFAC
- “Opinions of EESC on the demographic problem and the case of Hungary”, Mrs. Kinga Joo, Representative of NOE (Hungary), Member of the European Economic and Social Committee (EESC)
- “Risk of poverty for families with children – What is at stake?”, Mr. Luciano Calestini, Head of the UNICEF Office in Greece
- “The role of education and of the civil society in tackling the demographic problem”, Mr. Yiannis Paidas, President of the Economic and Social Committee of Greece, School Teacher/ Educationist.