- This event has passed.
Families and Demographic Change: Observance of the 2023 International Day of Families
May 15 | 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
As part of the preparations for the thirtieth anniversary of the International Year of the Family, 2024 (IYF+30), the 2023 in-person observance of the International Day of Families focuses on the megatrend of demographic change and its impact on families. The event is to share current knowledge on demographic trends, including ageing and intergenerational solidarity; facilitate the analysis of their impacts on family life and recommend responsive family-oriented policies to respond to the needs of families around the world.
How to follow?
In person – Monday, 15 May, 1:15-2:30 PM (EST), Conference Room 11, UN HQ New York
ONLINE – Monday, 15 May, 7:15-8:30 PM (CEST) on YouTube here:
19:00: Greetings of Large Families Associations.
- Masumi Ono, Chief, Social Inclusion and Participation Branch, Division for Inclusive Social Development, DESA
- Zitha Mokomane, PhD., Professor & Head of Department, Department of Sociology, University of Pretoria: “The Impact of Demographic Change on Families”
- Jonathan Perry, Social Affairs Officer: “Leaving No One Behind in an Ageing World: Findings from the 2023 UN World Social Report”
- Ernest Gonzalez, PhD. James Weldon Johnson Professor of Social Work, Director of the Center for Health and Aging Innovation, New York University Silver School of Social Work: “Intergenerational Equity & Solidarity: Good practices from the field”
- Angela Fallentine, Doha International Family Institute Representative
- Elisabeth Mueller, European Large Families Confederation Representative
- José Alejandro Vázquez Alarcón, PhD., International Federation for Family Development Representative: “Civil Society Declaration for IYF+30”
Issues for discussion:• What are the impacts of demographic change on families?
• What are the current trends in population ageing?
• What is the state of care arrangements for older persons?
• What are the inequality trends in an ageing world?
• What is the state of intergenerational solidarity in an ageing world?
• What family-oriented policies have been most effective in responding to current demographic trends?
• What civil society initiatives can ensure family well-being?
• What is the importance of the Civil Society Declaration for IYF+30?